Although the Substance generated Height maps are not 32 bit/channel images, they are still usable as Displacement maps.
First – as always – update the Substance plug-in. (You have to do this after every Maya update as well.)
- Create a Substance node, load a Substance, turn on Automatic connections,
change the file format to tga.
- Turn on the Height map (in the list within the Substance node).
The Substance generated the texture, the file node, the Displacement shader and a PhongE material.
- Change the generated PhongE material to aiStandard.
- Connect the generated image (the file node of course) through its Alpha Out output into the Displacement shader (the default connection is not this).
- Turn on the Alpha is Luminance option and set the Color Space to Raw in the file node.
- Alpha offset: -0.5 (This shifts the mid value to 0).
- Set the Displacement scale as you like it (in the Displacement Shader).
Of course you need some subdivision (Mesh node, Arnold section, Subdivision, Type and Iterations attributes).